Expert guidance on whether to outsource logistics functions
Logistics outsourcing is the process of transferring the ownership for carrying out a specific logistics activity to an outside party. Inhousing, on the other hand, is the taking back control of logistics activities from a third party. The core benefits of each approach are outlined below:
Benefits of Outsourcing Logistics
- Ability to focus on core business activities
- Release of capital tied up in warehouse property and systems
- Opportunity to access specialist logistics skills and technology
- Leverage scale and synergies of being part of a larger network
Benefits of Managing Logistics Inhouse
- Retain operational control and flexibility to achieve service level
- Greater alignment of objectives particularly on cost
- Release time spent on managing external contracts
- Retention of skills supporting unique processes or customers
Our team of consultants are experienced in logistics outsourcing through delivering consultancy projects and working for third party logistics (3PL) providers. We support your operation by evaluating the impacts of outsourcing specific services. In this, we understand whether there is a business case to support outsourcing and if there is help formulate a proposal for board approval.
Our expert guidance can also de-risk outsourcing or help to maximise the benefits of this. By reviewing logistics processes, we can pick out areas that are inefficient or complex. Complex processes can be a nightmare for 3PLs and can lead to painful transitions. And outsourcing inefficient processes is quite often unlikely to solve the inefficiency. BoxLogic will guide your team through the process to being ready to outsource as well as help you do it.
Once a decision has been made to outsource or take logistics functions back inhouse, BoxLogic can also support the next steps. These might include tendering out services, warehouse design, transport optimisation or project management support. Our consultants are also able to review an operation to identify efficiency gains and operational improvements, whether outsourced or inhouse. This can help you to set target contractual costs to negotiate with your 3PL prior to contract renewal or provide strategies to extend the life of an existing facility to delay outsourcing.
Contact BoxLogic to discuss your outsourcing logistics strategy in one of the following ways:
- Interact with Boxy, our chatbot
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Filling out our contact form or
- Call us now on +44 (0)1189 309 4030